Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Not-Camping trip

How hard can it be to camp in this place???? I have been wanting to take our family camping for over a month and we finally got things lined up to go last weekend. I packed 10 tons of crap into our Tahoe while Eli was at work. All the gear, hot dogs for dinner, all the stuff to dutch oven for breakfast, and about a million other things. As soon as Eli got home from work we took off. We had no idea where we were going but headed toward Ashton. We both decided that Cave Falls would be a good place to go and took off. We found one nice spot by a creek with a fire pit but the mosquitos were pretty bad already so we went farther down the road. We got to the Cave Falls campground and decided that running water and bathrooms were the way to go. We got everything unloaded. Eli went to work on the fire and I started on the tents. There were a few bugs, but that's camping...right??? Little by little there were more of them...and then more....and then about a million more. We had two tents set up, all the sleeping bags and blankets laid out, the fire raging and the hot dogs ready to put on the sticks and decided enough was enough. The mosquitos were SWARMING all over us. If we stood still there were so many on us that you couldn't see our clothes. They were up our nose, in our mouths and everywhere else bugs should never be. What took us about an hour to set up only took 10 minutes to get down and thrown back in the car. We hauled our butts back to Ashton and had dinner at Big Jud's. After that we ended up at home and sleeping in our own beds. It was so rediculous. How can camping go so wrong? On the way there the kids kept saying they just wanted to go to the hollow and make s'mores.....MAYBE WE SHOULD START LISTENING TO OUR KIDS!!!! I'm really starting to think they are smarter than me.
What a deceiving camping spot
Yes, I let my kids play in the fire
At least the kids were still happy

5 comments:

Amber said...

you told me you had a not so good camping kindof trip but I didn't know it was that bad! Guess I needed to hear the details...sorry about that, that stinks, maybe next time right!? (maybe we should go in together on a camper!)haha

Cortney said...

Hi larious! Camping is always more than meets the eye. We have not been for so long. We never had the bug problem, but did end up packing it up a few times because of wind. Just think of the memories.

J. said...

Nicole-
We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Drove around forever looking for a campsite. We were up by cavefalls, when we opened the door hundreds of misquitos flew in, so we were out of there. We almost gave up,but after 5 hours chaos, we found a spot with not so many misquitos. Camping is a pain in the butt sometimes.

Ashton & Co. said...

OH that's too bad. The bugs are bad this year! What a pain to go through all the unpacking...

Westlund Family said...

Good old Idaho! If you get a chance will you please email Eli's recipe for Salsa, I had it in San Diego, and I pretty sure I left it there. Thanks! westlund322@yahoo.com