Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Yellowstone Park

We took a little family trip to Yellowstone on Saturday and it turned out to be one of the best trips up there we've ever had. Spencer's wife had never been (she's from Sugar...don't ask) so we took her to see Old Faithful. We had gotten a late start so after waiting for it to go off we headed back. We decided to go north a little farther before going home and it ended up being the best idea we'd had. Eli spotted some wolves! It was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. There were 4 of them and they were stalking out a herd of buffalo. We watched them come across the meadow one at a time, then sit down and wait. After a while we decided to head home. About a couple miles from the entrance we came across a ton of cars. We hopped out to see what was going on and there was a grizzly across the river. It was so awesome to see. It was sleeping under a tree. We got some good pictures then it got up and came down to the river. It was HUGE! We watched it look for fish for a while then it headed back up the hill. It was a trip to remember. The kids loved it. I'm just thankful we live so close and can head up anytime. I could go any day of the week, it never gets old......Eli makes fun of me but it's ok.

Check out the claws on that bad boy.





The leader of the pack. They are so much bigger than you'd think!







3 comments:

Colette said...

What a great trip! I love it when we see a lot of animals. A few years ago we saw our first bear and I was SO excited, much more than the kids! I love your pictures of the animals. Either you've got a great camera or that bear was pretty close. How fun!

The Lloyd's said...

holy cow! that's awesome! i've never seen a grizzly or a wolf at yellowstone. it's been a long time since i've been there. i need to go again soon.

Rachel said...

I can't count on my hand and feet how many times we have been to Yellowstone and we never had such luck. That is so cool!! I bet your boys loved it. Great timing!!