Thursday, May 1, 2008

Our Engagement Story

Well, I finally got tagged by someone. My friend Jaime started a tag to find out everyone's engagement story so here it goes. Eli and I had dated FOREVER....through me being in Florida and him going on his mission. Through our letters we were pretty sure things were going to work out, enough that I had planned quite a bit of our wedding already (that is so embarrasing!). Anyway, he came home in the middle of October and we picked up where we had left off. Things were great and we had talked about getting married a little, but nothing was official. I was starting to wonder if he really thought we were still supposed to be together. We had decided to go to Utah for the weekend to visit some of his mission buddies. I was working in Idaho Falls and Eli was just supposed to pick me up when I got off so we could head out. He ended up being so late! I had carpooled down so I had no wheels and was stranded. I got off at 4:00 and was still waiting for him at 6:00. He had called and blamed it on my sister because she had him run her around town. I wasn't mad, but a little irratated and ready to get on our way. He finally showed up and the trip began. We were having a great time and stayed with a really good family friend, Aimee Walker. The first night we were there, he had gone to sleep and I stayed up talking to her. She asked me what was going on so I told her that I wasn't sure and wasn't getting any signals from Eli that he was ready to get married and that I was starting to worry about it. (The best part is that he had only been home 2 weeks! What was wrong with me)! She told me that it would work out and that I was to worried about it. Little did I know that Eli had already bought the ring. We went to one of his friend's homecomings on Sunday and walked around temple square with some other friends and really just had a fun time. On our way home we drove up to the Bountiful Temple. It was a tradition for us any time we were in Utah before Eli left on his mission and I was excited to go up there with him again. It has always been my favorite, and the view is so pretty. When we got there, we walked around and sat down on a bench and were just looking at the view when he got down in front of me and pulled the ring out and asked me to marry him. I wish I could remember what we had been saying and exactly how he asked. He was nervous and I got all teared up just like a little crybaby girl. It was so perfect, and I really ended up being surprised. I found out that he had kept the ring in his tiny pants pocket the whole weekend and was so paranoid that it was going to get lost. On our way down to Salt Lake, his dad had called and they were talking in Spanish and I thought it was just to irritate me, but he was asking Eli if he'd asked me already and how he was going to do it. Oh, and the reason he was late picking me up from work was because he'd gone to ask my dad's permission and he wasn't home so he had to wait for him. My sister totally covered for him. I was so clueless, but it was great. We got married 4 weeks later....why waste time! And here we are almost 7 years later. I can't believe it was that long ago!!! Now I tag Heather S., Amber G., Michelle A., Cherish, M., Brooke R.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Nicole,
That is a cute/funny story... wow engaged for 4 weeks!! How did you pull it all together?!? I finally figured how to add links to my blog so now I can check on ya without linking through someone else. This blogging thing is addictive isn't it?

Westlund Family said...

That was so cute! I'm glad that you did it! I always knew you two would end up together!

Heather said...

Oh thanks for the tag. I will hopefully get it done. It might not happen until after the move though. BTW I love your guys story. I was long gone when everyone got married so it is fun to hear the story.

The Lloyd's said...

You are nuts--i forgot how quickly you got engaged/married. It's a great thing that you two were meant for each other! That's too bad he had to wait around to ask Dad's permission...I bet that was fun for him! He had to have been so nervous!

author said...

Hi, Nicole. This is Nicole (Forsgren); Tiffany pointed me to your blog. What a cute story! And your family is adorable. If you'd like to internet stalk me back, my blog is nicandx.blogspot.com.